Adult Orthodontics in Austin or Buda, TX
Everyone wants that 1000-watt, million-dollar smile. Unfortunately, it doesn't come naturally to all of us. As an adult, in particular, having dental issues like misalignment can have huge negative implications on your health and your social life. Luckily, you can resolve this problem with adult orthodontics. At AKT Orthodontics and BKT Orthodontics, we work with adults of all ages to develop a treatment plan that fits their schedule and smile goals. Our advanced technology makes getting orthodontic treatment as an adult easy, affordable, and convenient.
Common Reasons Adults Get Braces
- Health conditions - Adult Braces have proven to be a beneficial treatment option for some common health conditions such as sleep apnea and temporomandibular joint (TMJ) issues.
- Teeth have shifted since the last treatment - without regular retainer wear, teeth will continue to shift over time. Braces or Invisalign can be a great option for adults who completed orthodontic treatment as teens but have experienced a shift in their smiles.
- They can finally afford it - many adults decide to get braces because they did not have access to orthodontic treatment growing up.
- Today's orthodontic treatments are affordable and convenient - now that Invisalign is around, you can finally straighten your teeth without those pesky braces.
- Career goals - putting your best smile forward is always a good idea when it comes to your career. People with straighter teeth are viewed as more successful than those with crooked teeth. A healthy smile can help increase confidence and have a positive impact on your success at work.
How Do Adult Braces Work?
Adult braces work by gently exerting pressure on your jawline to change the way your smile appears. We will adjust your braces every several weeks as your teeth respond to treatment. After you complete treatment and the braces are removed, we will have you fitted for a retainer to align and maintain your new smile.
Although adults can come with a bit of dental baggage such as root canals, crowns, bridges, gum disease, the orthodontic treatment itself is very similar to that of a teenager. The type of treatment offered and the length of time is also generally similar. Braces and Invisalign are the two most common treatments and while the length of treatment can vary, it is generally 18-24 months. Often adults might need to have a pre-orthodontic consultation with their general dentist or with a periodontist if there are any concerns regarding gum health or any restorations. In addition, since there is no more growth possible, there will be no appliances used to expand or stretch the bone.
Adult Orthodontic Treatment Options
At AKT Orthodontics and BKT Orthodontics, we provide the following adult orthodontic treatments:
- Traditional Braces: Conventional braces work using individual brackets and archwires to move your teeth into position. Each bracket is fitted to the surface of your tooth, and the archwire is slotted into these brackets. You can choose different colored elastics (o-rings) during every appointment, making traditional braces so much fun to wear. These elastics are placed around each bracket to secure the archwire in place.
- Ceramic Braces: Ceramic braces are similar to metal braces, but they use clear or tooth-colored brackets rather than gray or metallic silver brackets and wires. Many adults opt for ceramic braces because they're less noticeable on your teeth than metal braces. They can be a huge advantage if you're considering braces and don't want to feel self-conscious about wearing them.
- Invisalign: Invisalign is an inconspicuous, removable alternative to traditional metal braces. When you get these custom-made, clear plastic aligners, you'll receive several months' worth in advance, and you'll change them out at regular intervals (usually about every two weeks) to help shift your teeth into the proper position. If you're hesitant to wear traditional or ceramic braces but still want to straighten your teeth, Invisalign could be the right solution for you.
Am I Too Old for Orthodontics?
No, you are never too old for orthodontic treatment. When developing your customized treatment plan, our orthodontist Dr. Claire considers many variables, but age is rarely a deciding factor. Orthodontic treatment can be as successful for adults as it is for teenagers.
Adult Orthodontics Cost
The cost of orthodontic treatment varies depending on the type of treatment you choose. Luckily, most insurance plans cover the cost of orthodontic treatment, so be sure to confirm your coverage with your provider. We also provide flexible payment plans to allow you to get the orthodontic treatment you need.
Transform Your Smile with Adult Orthodontics Today!
Healthy teeth and gums, improved facial structure, and enhanced self-esteem are just a few of the many benefits of correcting your teeth with orthodontic treatment. Whether you choose adult braces or Invisalign, you can feel confident about a treatment plan that fits your lifestyle and budget. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.